View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0001384||OpenMPT||File Format Support||public||2020-10-26 06:22||2020-10-26 18:59|
|Reporter||Lachesis||Assigned To||Saga Musix|
|Product Version||OpenMPT 1.29.05.00 / libopenmpt 0.5.3 (upgrade first)|
|Target Version||OpenMPT 1.29.06.00 / libopenmpt 0.5.4 (upgrade first)||Fixed in Version||OpenMPT 1.29.06.00 / libopenmpt 0.5.4 (upgrade first)|
|Summary||0001384: OctaMED timing edge case bugs :(|
I noticed a couple of (VERY edge case) issues that still exist with OctaMED timing in OpenMPT.
1) When a .MED file has both 8-channel mode and BPM mode enabled, OctaMED will ignore BPM mode entirely and use 8-channel mode timing (can just
2) OctaMED has a very obscure bug in BPM mode that I've only seen used by two tracks so far: when a BPM of 1 or 2 is set, OctaMED seems to revert to the default tempo (
|Steps To Reproduce|
1) These are the three affected tracks. superaxel.med is the most noticeable since it plays at a VERY low BPM in OpenMPT.
2) Load either of these files in OpenMPT. The buggy usage of those low BPMs occurs in the final order of both modules. OpenMPT translates these to relative tempo changes (not sure if that's just a UI issue).
I've been working with OctaMED 4.00 (via FS-UAE) and MMD0/MMD1 modules only so far so there might be more of these in the MMD2/MMD3 collections.
My research into OctaMED timing for MikMod... :( I'm glad almost everything I found here is already correct in OpenMPT though.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Has the bug occurred in previous versions?|
|Tested code revision (in case you know it)|
Thanks for the detailed report. A lot of these small details changed between OctaMED versions (as you can see in the OpenMPT code) so I think some more tests with OctaMED 5 and Med for Windows will indeed be in order.
For the issue re: 8-channel mode, OctaMED 4.03 (I was wrong, it's not 4.00...), OctaMED 5.00, the OctaMED 6.00 demo, and OctaMED Soundstudio 1.03 all have the behavior I described above, including how the sliders behave. OctaMEDPlayer and MED Soundstudio 2.1 play these tracks correctly but they convert these to regular BPM mode (nikolaus and techfunk from 8-channel tempo 10 to 99 BPM / 4 LPB, superaxel from 8-channel tempo 9 to 103 BPM / 4 LPB).
The ending of Electrosound 64 plays correctly in all of the Amiga versions of OctaMED I tried but the
Minor update: I meant 104 BPM for superaxel, not 103 BPM. I also forgot to try the OctaMED Soundstudio 2 Amiga demo; it behaves the same as the Windows players in both a) converting 8-channel mode to BPM mode and b) treating
MED Soundstudio (on Windows) also doesn't support the second quirk, which is a bit unfortunte because I think there is no way to distinguish it from earlire OctaMED releases in the general case (it outputs regular MMD3 files), unless you use some specific features like VST you probably cannot tell if the file was written in OctaMED or MED Soundstudio.
I just hope that noone used F01 or F02 in MED Soundstudio so that I can apply this quirk unconditionally. ;)
Changes as of r13787:
|2020-10-26 06:22||Lachesis||New Issue|
|2020-10-26 08:03||Saga Musix||Assigned To||=> Saga Musix|
|2020-10-26 08:03||Saga Musix||Status||new => assigned|
|2020-10-26 08:05||Saga Musix||Note Added: 0004492|
|2020-10-26 09:13||Lachesis||Note Added: 0004493|
|2020-10-26 09:52||Lachesis||Note Added: 0004494|
|2020-10-26 18:24||Saga Musix||Note Added: 0004495|
|2020-10-26 18:59||Saga Musix||Note Added: 0004496|
|2020-10-26 18:59||Saga Musix||Status||assigned => resolved|
|2020-10-26 18:59||Saga Musix||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2020-10-26 18:59||Saga Musix||Fixed in Version||=> OpenMPT 1.29.06.00 / libopenmpt 0.5.4 (upgrade first)|
|2020-10-26 18:59||Saga Musix||Target Version||=> OpenMPT 1.29.06.00 / libopenmpt 0.5.4 (upgrade first)|